It’s typical on New Year’s to write a post reflecting on the past year. Although I have been mulling over all the thoughts and feelings on 2021 as a whole, I am opting to keep those thoughts internal for now, and I’m more motivated to document some of my personal experiences in this year-end review post. Read on for a bulleted list!
- Went to the emergency room for what ended up being diagnosed as my first stomach ulcer. The cause seems to had been a perfect storm of naproxen (for back pain), triggering foods, and the stress from the January 6 insurrection.
- Celebrated one year with our sweet kittens.
- Hunkered down for the first winter storm of the year (10 inches of snow, if my memory serves me).
- Made the decision to sell our house of seven years, the first house we’d ever purchased!
- Spent a lot of the month sorting through and purging a lot of the belongings we’d accumulated over the past seven years. Started moving out of our home gradually.
- Completely emptied our house and did a bunch of painting and prepping for staging.
- During the moving process, I injured my back so horribly that I could not get out of bed. Full recovery took a couple weeks, which unfortunately made me a bit slow with our prep for selling. I am endlessly thankful to Robert for balancing out moving, house selling tasks, and taking care of me through all this. <3
- Staged and listed our house, and quickly received multiple offers!
- Accepted an offer and the house welcomed its new owners by month’s end.
- Signed off of work for three months as I started my three month sabbatical!
- Got my first vaccine dose on the first full day of my sabbatical.
- Started a daily habit of going for wandering walks and sitting in parks.
- Got my second vaccine dose!
- Got my hair professionally cut (with the return of the undercut!) and colored for the first time since
- Voted in the special election.
- Subscribed to MasterClass and started learning new things.
- Bought a waffle iron and waffled all the things (favorite waffled food: tater tots)!
- Met with a friend for the first time in a year and a half <3
- Witnessed my baby nephew turning one year old!
- Went for our first vacation since December 2019, to Palm Springs. I spent a heck of a lot of time doing nothing in particular, sitting in the pool and reading.
- Went on multiple day trips to the Oregon coast (Manzanita Beach is our favorite) to sit on the beach and watch the waves.
- Continued my daily habit of walks with podcasts, and sitting & reading in the park.
- Went back to the movies for the first time in 19 months, to see Summer of Soul.
- Traveled to L.A. to visit our close friends (incidentally, the last folks we traveled to see before the pandemic began).
- Continued my daily walks and park sitting.
- Inspired by a MasterClass, I picked up a DJ controller and started playing around with DJing.
- Went to the art museum for the first time in years.
- Went to Retro Game Bar for the first time, with my brother for some bonding time.
- Wrapped up my sabbatical and went back to work!
- Published a post of my recently consumed media.
- Published a post with my thoughts on my sabbatical.
- Bought an espresso machine and started to attempt to perfect my latte technique.
- Traveled to Newport for our 9th wedding anniversary. Visited the Oregon Aquarium for the first time and enjoyed some more time staring at ocean waves.
- Went on a hike to one of our favorite waterfalls for the first time since the wildfires in 2017.
- Celebrated Robert’s last day of a job he’d had for 9 years, and his start at a new one!
- Participated in a project with a group of rad AAPI women and non-binary people.
- Rang in my 45th birthday by celebrating my inner child at Disneyland, back for the first time in 3 years.
- Welcomed both sets of parents for a visit in Portland early in the month.
- Celebrated Robert’s birthday with early dinner at his favorite restaurant, and a low-key evening at home.
- Started a new role in Designer Experience.
- Created a new office space at home (since I had been working from a desk in our bedroom since I returned from sabbatical in July).
- Had a nice intimate Thanksgiving dinner with just a few family members.
- Celebrated 16 years together with Robert <3
- Got my vaccine booster.
- Back at Disneyland at the beginning of the month to spend time with family!
- Started a new hobby with Robert of assembling jigsaw puzzles together.
- Celebrated Christmas with just the two of us at home for the first time.
- Stayed up till 3am on New Year’s eve listening to records while working on a puzzle!