The 100 Day Project Day 2: “Five Ten Fiftyfold”. I’ve often found moments of calm when I listen to Cocteau Twins. Their music saw me through some challenging times in the mid to late 90’s.
As I’ve been struggling a bit lately with a few things: Figuring out what to blog about, finding time for myself to think, finding time for myself to *not* think (e.g., meditate), and having a consistent creative outlet.
This prompted an idea to participate in The 100 Day Project, which is described as “A free, global art project that anyone can participate in”. Participants are encouraged to post daily within a theme of their choosing.
I’ve chosen #100daysofcalm as my project, in which I will post short videos of a calm moment in my day. I really like the idea of taking a moment every day to focus and contemplate, and I hope this project helps this to become new habit.
I’ve kicked off the project today with my evening moment of calm:
- Go to Wikipedia.
- In the Search box, type your birth month and day (but not year).
- List three events that happened on your birthday.
- List two important birthdays and one interesting death.
- Post it.
My birthday is 27 September.
- 1821 – Mexico gains its independence from Spain.
- 1822 – Jean-François Champollion announces that he has deciphered the Rosetta stone.
- 1998 – Google is first established
Two important births:
- 1840 – Thomas Nast, German-born political cartoonist (d. 1902)
- 1934 – Wilford Brimley, American actor (heh)
One interesting death:
I ain’t taggin’ anyone, so tag yourself. 😛
Yeah, a meme, but I like this one pretty well… it’s a pretty comprehensive personality test:
[image currently broken, but my result was “Encouraging Creator”]
Roll over the different colors in the bar to see some more details about me, or click the link to read even more.
Not to fall into the blogging cycle that Nicole describes (not intentionally, anyway), but, it’s the weekend, and the weekend is light enough to accomplish a meme. So without further ado, here’s the countdown (I hesitate to call it the “Final Countdown”, as Elke titles it, since these are always subject to change):
Ten movies you’d watch over and over:
- Garden State
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Donnie Darko
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- My Neighbor Totoro
- The Hudsucker Proxy
- A Mighty Wind
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Ghost World
Nine people you enjoy the company of:
- Kevin (natch)
- My brother Brendon
- My Mom and Dad (is it fair to count them as one?)
- My dear friend Toni
- Toni’s husband, Brian
- My niece, Maddie
- My friend Michelle (a.ka. Batgirl)
- My friend Andy
- My friend Asa
- Sparx the cat (hey, cats are people too)
Eight things you’re wearing:
- Maroon Blazer that I inherited from my Aunt Lydia
- Dark Old Navy Jeans that I bought this week
- Black high-top Chucks that I got from Crossroads
- Black girly-T with a little bird saying “Let’s Jam!” printed on it in pink
- a whole bunch of black jelly bracelets
- Mini buttons on my lapel of Oogie Boogie and Bumperpup
- Studded belt
- Silvery hoop earrings
Seven things on your mind:
- What to eat for lunch
- If I should have a cup of coffee
- Does my car need gas today?
- My sinuses are ticking me off.
- I think I have an overdue library book (or two) in my posession.
- My teeth are fuzzy.
- I need to go outside.
Six objects you touch every day:
- The quilt on the bed
- My hair
- Sparx the cat
- my keyboard
- my keys
- my handbag
Five things you do every day:
- Brush my teeth
- Drink copious amounts of water
- Take my allergy meds
- Check my email and RSS feeds
Four bands (etc) that you couldn’t live without:
Three of your favorite songs at this moment:
- Title and Registration – Death Cab for Cutie
- The Killing Moon – Echo and the Bunnymen
- The District Sleeps Alone – The Postal Service
Two people who have influenced your life the most:
- Mom and Dad (again, I lump them into one entity)
One person who you love more than anyone in the world:
- I guess it’s most fair to say myself. Or rather, I should love myself more than anyone else in the world.
There you have it. I’ve succumbed to a meme for the first time in a while. Now I can go back to some real content.